Enforcing your IP
In addition to being a graduate or an experienced professional, there are specific personal qualities and industry technologies we look for when recruiting patent examiners.
Successful applicants demonstrate the following qualities and skills:
- Openness to learning in a group setting.
- Receptive to constructive feedback and have the ability to apply this in the performance of duties, both when in training and on the job.
- Able to work collaboratively and cooperatively, and thrive in a diverse work group.
- Able to work independently.
- Recognise and respect the work preferences and different views of others.
- Apply technical knowledge to new and challenging ideas.
- Meet deadlines and adapt to a changing environment.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound research, analytical, comprehension and decision-making skills.
- Make well-supported decisions.
- Uphold the Australian Public Service and IP Australia Code of Conduct, and values, in carrying out day-to-day responsibilities.
We are particularly interested in people with qualifications and experience in:
- mechanical engineering
- medical devices
- pure or applied chemistry, industrial chemistry, biotechnology, pharmacology, pharmaceuticals and biochemistry
- chemical engineering
- electronics, telecommunications, computer engineering, computer science and electrical engineering.
We seek engineers in a variety of disciplines including:
- transport, including automotive and marine
- mining or petroleum engineering.
We seek engineers or scientists with a background or an interest in medical devices, such as:
- heart valves
- blood pumps
- breathing-assistance devices
Pure or applied chemistry, industrial chemistry, biotechnology, pharmacology, pharmaceuticals and biochemistry
We seek scientists with a strong background in at least one of the following:
- biochemistry and synthetic organic chemistry
- molecular biology, immunology and cell biology. In particular, we seek those with backgrounds in genome, developmental and stem-cell biology
- biochemical, chemical, nucleic acid, peptide and immunological analysis and assays, particularly including:
- instrumental analysis
- use of array techniques in analysis
- protein/molecular screening
- protein/molecular diagnostics
- cell assay techniques.
We seek physicists with a strong background in at least one of the following:
- semiconductor devices and processing
- optical devices and systems
- micro/nano technology
- measurement and sensing.
We seek engineers with a strong background in at least one of the following:
- hydrocarbons, fuels and lubricants
- ventilation, refrigeration, heating/cooling, air conditioning and heat exchange
- plastics moulding
- layered products/laminates
- vacuum cleaners and domestic cleaning
- filters and separation.
Additional expertise in the following areas is also useful:
- batteries and fuel cells
- pollution control, treatment and sequestration
- solar panels and solar cells.
Electronics, telecommunications, computer engineering, computer science and electrical engineering
We seek engineers or scientists with a strong background in at least one of the following:
- telecommunications, internet protocols, wireless networks, wireless protocols or electronic control systems
- data processing, computer software, e-commerce or speech recognition
- information storage and retrieval technologies, and computer networks
- power engineering and/or electrical components, such as switches and connectors.
Last Updated: 23/11/2013