What are we doing to be more green?
We are committed to minimising our greenhouse gases impact. We are focused on conducting operations in an environmentally responsible manner and fostering the sustainable use of resources.
We have developed and implemented an Environmental Management System (EMS) across the organisation and have achieved ISO 14001 certification for our Environmental Management System (EMS). At the time of the achievement, we were one of the first IP offices globally to achieve the certification.
What is ISO 14001 and how does it helps us to be green?
ISO 14001 is an international best practice standard for managing an organisation's impact on the environment. It provides a structured approach to planning and implementing environmental protection measures and supporting improved environmental outcomes. In order to gain certification, we are assessed by an independent auditor as meeting all of the requirements set out under the Standard and is reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Therefore ISO 14001 certification provides a framework for an organisation wishing to operate in an environmentally sustainable manner. It ensures that the system continues to improve and as a result the organisation continues to implement initiatives and strategies to improve its environmental impacts.
ISO 14001 standard is identifiable by the certification logo.
It's easy being green - you can do it too!
We have implemented many initiatives across the organisation to reduce our impacts on environmental aspects including energy, water, recycling and waste.
We are continuing to implement initiatives across the workplace and are working with our customers and suppliers to help collectively improve our environment. We encourage both customers and suppliers to work with us where possible to help reduce impacts.
Our environmental policy
We are charged with ensuring there is an effective, efficient and accessible intellectual property (IP) system. We do this by administering Australia's IP legislation as it relates to Patents for inventions, registered Trade Marks, registered Industrial Designs and Plant Breeder's Rights. We also manage programs to educate and promote awareness of intellectual property, provide IP policy input to Government, develop national IP legislation, regulate the IP profession, and contribute to bilateral and multilateral negotiations concerning IP protection.
We are committed to minimising its greenhouse gases impact. We will conduct our operations in an envrionmentally responsible manner, clearly reflecting a responsibility to fostering the sustainable use of resources.
- comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulations, and other requirements or initiatives subscribed to by our organisation
- incorporate environmental better practice into our core management processes and operations
- minimise negative impacts we may have on the environment, through efficient use of resources, and reduction in emissions and waste including reuse and recycling where practicable
- strive to continually improve our environmental performance through a robust Environmental Management System within our business framework that meets ISO 14001 requirements
- engender environmental awareness amongst all staff in order to work together to achieve agreed environmental outcomes and build a strong environmental ethos
- ensure we work closely with our customers, suppliers, local communities, and other interested parties to continually improve our processes in environmental better practice
- actively seek to reduce pollution.
Last Updated: 17/12/2012