Strengthening Australia's IP system - we're almost there
18 Jan 2013
An extensive consultation process to strengthen innovation and improve the effectiveness of Australia’s intellectual property (IP) system is nearing completion.
"This is one of the most comprehensive periods of change and reform to Australia’s IP system in more than 20 years. Thank you to everyone who provided written submissions or attended community information sessions, especially over the past few years. This input is allowing us to shape more efficient and flexible processes and administration to support the IP industry." said IP Australia's Director General, Philip Noonan.
The legislative reforms will be of particular interest to inventors, brand owners, the attorney profession and broader innovation community. Importantly, these reforms support the Federal Government’s commitment to foster Australian innovation and business growth. The reforms will:
- raise the quality of granted patents so they will be more closely aligned with international standards, giving confidence to exporters when applying in Australia and other jurisdictions;
- give innovators more confidence that their patent rights will withstand legal challenges;
- help small to medium sized businesses to make the most of their IP by implementing stricter measures to stop competitors from copying registered trade marks;
- give flexibility to the attorney profession to structure their businesses and services to meet their own needs as well as those of their clients; and
- provide access to a simplified and more effective IP system.
The public consultation period for the draft Intellectual Property Legislation Amendment Regulations 2012 closed recently. The draft Regulations build on the reforms covered in the Act.
"After examining these recent submissions and meeting with stakeholders, we can now advise the outcomes of our consultation," said Mr Noonan.
- The Intellectual Property Laws Amendment (Raising the Bar) Act 2012
- Background information to IP Reform
- IP Reforms - Top issues that may affect you
- Final Regulations for IP Reforms
- Raising the Bar - Regulations Reaching the Final Stage
- Outcomes from public consultation for IP Regulations
- IP Reforms Guide - January 2013
- Subscribe to our mailing list to keep up to date with what is happening at IP Australia
Last Updated: 05/3/2013