Apply for a design
We administer IP legislation
We administer legislation that governs four types of IP rights. For more information on the legislation for each of the rights see:
We process applications, conduct hearings and maintain IP registers
We receive and process patent, trade mark, designs and plant breeder's rights applications, conduct hearings and decide on disputed matters relating to granting or refusing Australian IP rights.
Our customers are individuals and businesses in Australia and overseas.
We maintain the registers of patents, designs, trade marks and plant breeder's rights and regularly produce journals detailing new applications and registrations.
Australia is a member of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT). This standardises the process for customers who apply for patents in countries that are members of the PCT.
- receive PCT applications from customers who use the PCT to seek patents in countries that are members of the treaty
- carry out international searches and conduct international preliminary examinations for these customers
We work with professional bodies in Australia and overseas
We work with IP offices in other countries and with international and regional organisations to enhance Australia's role in developing IP systems and processes around the world.
We work with professional bodies, business groups and government to ensure the effectiveness of Australia's IP system, and hold regular meetings with our national stakeholder groups, including:
- The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- AMPICTA, which represents owners of intellectual property in Australia
- The Law Council of Australia
- Licensing Executives Society of Australia and New Zealand (LESANZ)
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Australian Industry Group (AIG)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Certified Practising Accountants
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Business Council of Australia
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
Other consultation mechanisms include customer surveys and meetings with various advisory and consultative bodies.
We provide a rich source of IP information
Our website provides:
- extensive information about the various forms of IP that can be registered
- options for protecting and commercialising your IP
- access to searchable patent, trade mark, design and plant breeder's rights databases
- a variety of targeted IP programs for small business, exporters, creative industries, the vocational and education sector and schools
Our skilled team
We can explain, in general, ways in which IP rights can help organisations innovate and develop a distinctive identity.
Our communication program
Our communication program provides individuals and organisations with general information about how to identify, protect and take advantage of their IP.
What we don't do
While we provide information and resources for you to use, there are some things we don't do.
Last Updated: 23/11/2013