We fall within the Industry, Innovation, Cimate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education portfolio as a prescribed agency under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997, but operate independently of the Department on financial matters and with some degree of autonomy on other matters.
The Minister for Climate Change, Industry and Innovation, The Hon Greg Combet AM MP, has responsibility for us.
The Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education helps shape Australia's future economy through skills, learning, discovery and innovation. It works with the wider portfolio to accelerate productivity growth and secure Australia's prosperity in a competitive low carbon global economy. More information is available on the Department's website.
There are five other Ministers and two Parliamentary Secretaries responsible for the wider portfolio:
The Hon Dr Craig Emerson MP
- Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Science and Research
- Minister for Trade and Competitiveness
- Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Asian Century Policy
The Hon Gary Gray AO MP
- Minister for Resources and Energy
- Minister for Small Business
- Minister for Tourism
Senator The Hon Don Farrell
- Minister for Science and Research
- Minister Assisting for Tourism
The Hon Sharon Bird MP
- Minister for Higher Education and Skills
Senator The Hon Kate Lundy
- Minister for Sport
- Minister for Multicultural Affairs
- Minister Assisting for Industry and Innovation
The Hon Bernie Ripoll MP
- Parliamentary Secretary for Small Business
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer
The Hon Yvette D'Ath MP
- Parliamentary Secretary for Climate Change, Industry and Innovation
Information about all the portfolio Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries is available on the Ministers' website.
We are the Australian Government agency responsible for granting patent, trade mark, industrial design and plant breeders' rights. We also:
- manage programs to educate and promote awareness of the benefit of effective protection and use of intellectual property (IP)
- provide policy advice to government
- develop legislation to support Australia's IP system
- contributes to bilateral and multilateral negotiations to improve IP protection internationally
Portfolio budget statements
The Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education Portfolio Budget 2012-13 incorporates our budget report.
Last Updated: 16/5/2013