We fall within the Industry portfolio as a prescribed agency under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997, but operate independently of the Department on financial matters and with some degree of autonomy on other matters.
The Minister for Industry, The Hon Ian Macfarlane, has responsibility for us.
More information is available on the Department's website.
The Hon Ian Macfarlane MP
- Minister for Industry
The Hon Bob Baldwin MP
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry
See the Ministers website.
We are the Australian Government agency responsible for granting patent, trade mark, industrial design and plant breeder's rights. We also:
- manage programs to educate and promote awareness of the benefit of effective protection and use of intellectual property (IP)
- provide policy advice to government
- develop legislation to support Australia's IP system, and
- contribute to bilateral and multilateral negotiations to improve IP protection internationally.
Portfolio budget statements
The Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education Portfolio Budget 2012-13 incorporates our budget report.
Last Updated: 17/1/2014