What is a patent?
A patent is a right that is granted for any device, substance, method or process that is new, inventive, and useful.
A patent is legally enforceable and gives you (the owner), exclusive rights to commercially exploit the invention for the life of the patent.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you'll need to decide if a patent is appropriate for your product, where you want to register it and what is involved in the application process.
Applying for a patent can be complex. To ensure you make the right decision, see our broad list of topics below.
- About patents - benefits of a patent and what can be patented.
- The application process - for standard and innovation patents.
- Search for a patent - search AusPat (Patent Search Database).
- Apply for a patent - information to help you apply for a patent.
- Renew your patent - information to help you renew your patent.
Last Updated: 23/11/2013