Get the right help
There are different types of advisers who can help you with different aspects of your business plan.
To get the best from your adviser, you must plan and be very clear about what you need - particularly in relation to your IP. Planning will help you clarify and prioritise your questions.
The main objective of seeking advice is to confirm your action plans and identify alternative or more effective strategies. Remember that the final decision will always be yours to make.
Types of advisers
The type of adviser you deal with will vary depending on the nature of your business, but you will more than likely deal with one of the following.
- Branding consultants or graphic designers will create a name and/or image for your company and/or product. They can also help develop products aimed at creating a marketing position for your business.
- Accountants will provide advice on company structures, taxation arrangements and other related areas of financial controlling. It is important that these advisers understand how to value your ideas and the potential of your IP.
- Financial advisers will provide advice on gaining new finance and the implications of different debt-to-equity arrangements.
- Commercial lawyers will set up a legal framework and structure for your business.
- Management consultants can help assess how you can expand your business and the financial implication of this. They can also help identify any external factors (such as changes in government policy or assessment of the general business environment) that may impact on your business. They can also help you build a strong and productive working team.
- Marketing consultants or researchers can assist in market analysis, demographic research and strategies to reach your target markets.
- Franchising or export consultants can help identify new markets and strategies for breaking into them.
- Advertising agencies can create campaign strategies to help you promote your product or services. They will research your market and devise strategies that use a variety of media, direct and non-direct marketing.
- Information technology consultants can help your business build information structures to help your daily transactions and business reporting needs.
- Trade mark and patent attorneys can develop strategies to protect your IP and help you benefit commercially from it.
Last Updated: 11/12/2012