Position Title: Chief Solutions Architecture & Data Management
Classification: Executive Level 2
Position Number: 6865
Section: BIMS Executive
Group: Business and Information Management Solutions
Division: Policy and Corporate
Immediate Supervisor: General Manager
Security Classification: NEGATIVE VETTING Level 1
Group / ICT Stream Responsibilities
The role of the Business and Information Management Solutions (BIMS) Group is to deliver and manage information and technology to enable IP Australia’s business.
The Solutions Architecture and Data Management Stream comprises of four sections - Solutions Architecture, ICT Centres of Excellence, Service Management and Data Management.
- The Solutions Architecture section is responsible for application, data, cloud and integration architecture.
- The ICT Centres of Excellence section is responsible for application development teams, developing frameworks and being the Design Authority.
- The Service Management section comprises of change management, release management and software configuration management functions. Over time these functions will migrate to a DevOps model of continuous delivery.
- The Data Management section is responsible for data science, data modelling, visualisation & reporting, data integration, data quality, big data and the enterprise data warehouse.
Job description / Context of the role
The occupant of this position will be directly responsible to the Chief Information Officer and manage IP Australia’s solution architecture, new technology development exploration, leadership of the application development teams, data management and service management functions.
The position has responsibility for:
- Leading the sections responsible for architecting and designing IP Australia’s systems solutions including insourced, outsourced, cloud, COTs and bespoke systems
- Managing application development resource pools and centres of excellence
- Leading the new technology exploration function
- Developing data management practices and providing support for delivery on IP Australia’s Data Strategy
- Service management functions such as Change, Release, Configuration and the adoption of new practices and techniques such as DevOps, automated testing etc.
- Contributing to reducing the agency’s technical debt
- Leading and sponsoring the agency’s Centres of Excellence for Business Analysts, Developers, Integration Services, Testing and Agile
- Providing high-level professional advice on industry developments and emerging technology
- As a member of the ICT senior management team contribute to the leadership and long-term strategic direction of the ICT group
- Manage EL2s heading the various sections in the Solutions Architecture and Data Management Stream
Job Specific duties
- Extensive demonstrated experience in leading and managing teams of technical professionals in the end to end design and delivery of ICT capability
- Lead, plan and manage personnel, financial and technical resources and embrace new practices in applications development (including DevOps, Agile), API based integration, solutions architecture and data management (including business intelligence, analytics, visualisation and reporting, big data and enterprise data warehouse), change and release management
- Build strong relationships with business and the other delivery areas of the organisation to provide stable, reliable and scalable systems with the best staff and customer user experience possible
- Be an effective team leader, including the ability to coach, develop and manage the performance of employees in the team and embrace new development and delivery methods such as Agile and continuous delivery
- Ability to set, and communicate, the strategic direction for the team in line with the broader ICT Strategy and agency strategic direction
- Communication skills (written and oral) of a high order, including the ability to interact with senior members of staff from across the agency
- Demonstrate attitudes and behaviours responsive to workplace change (including participate and encourage others to participate in change and contribute to successful outcomes)
- Improve organisational performance through effective engagement with and management of risk within relevant sphere of influence
- Establish clear expectations and create an environment to achieve stated goals and objectives, take ownership and honour commitments
- Maintain an understanding of their/worker responsibilities under the Work Health & Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) and a commitment to promoting a healthy and safe workplace
- The successful candidate will hold, or have the ability to gain, and maintain an NV1 security clearance
Job Specific Capabilities
- Extensive experience in senior management within an ICT team is essential
- Extensive Experience in applications development and Agile methodology
- Experience in solutions architecture and data management (business intelligence and analytics, visualization and reporting, big data and enterprise data warehouse) is desirable
- Formal qualifications in ICT would be an advantage
To apply for this position, candidates are asked to:
- Frame their responses around the job specific duties and job specific capabilities of the role (as set out in this job documentation), and provide:
- An explanation of how their skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (limited response between 300 and 500 words)
- Details of no more than two (2) professional achievements, within the last 5 years, that demonstrate their suitability for this role (limited response between 300 and 500 words)
- Provide a current CV detailing recent employment history which is relevant to the advertised position
- Provide the name and contact details of two referees
- Provide details of any current security clearance or state ability to obtain a security assessed clearance
Applications must be submitted through the IP Australia Web Recruitment system (ESS)
Please note: you MUST be an Australian Citizen to be engaged in the APS and to meet IP Australia’s security clearance requirements.
For further information pertaining to this job please contact Sanjay Kalra on 02 6283 2008.
Working in IP Australia
Australia’s Intellectual property (IP) rights system supports innovation, investment and international competitiveness. IP Australia administers Australia’s IP rights system, specifically patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder’s rights. IP Australia also undertakes programs to educate and promote an awareness of intellectual property (IP), provides IP policy input to Government, develops legislation to support the IP system and contributes to bilateral and multilateral negotiations to improve IP protection internationally.
IP Australia strives to deliver robust IP rights efficiently, satisfy our customers in terms of timeliness and value for money and be recognised as one of the leading IP offices in the world for the quality (including accuracy and consistency) of the IP rights we grant. IP Australia is committed to external certification of our Quality Management System which involves applying ISO 9001:2008 to key business processes and to environmental management through ISO14001 certification within the agency.
All IP Australia staff contribute to the achievement of organisational outcomes and the overall management of IP Australia by assisting, as appropriate, the Commissioner of Patents and the Registrars of Trade Marks and Designs and Plant Breeder’s Rights, and their deputies (where relevant), to perform statutory functions, and where appropriate, exercise relevant delegations.
IP Australia recognises the importance of employees balancing their work and personal lives by offering staff access to an ongoing series of health and wellbeing programs, flexible work-life policies and a range of professional development programs. IP Australia is a breastfeeding friendly workplace.
The IP Australia office in Canberra provides high quality accommodation and facilities. These include: an on-site café, conference, meeting and training rooms; limited on-site parking for cars and motor cycles available on a rotational basis; the provision of undercover bicycle racks; excellent shower/change facilities for staff choosing to walk or ride to work; and the advantage of all staff being co-located in the one building.
Please note: All IP Australia positions are subject to an ENTRY ONLY pre-employment check unless a higher security clearance has been identified. Other pre-employment checks may also apply.