Position Title: Data Scientist
Position Number: 5631
Section: Cognitive Futures
Group: Innovation and Technology
Division: Policy and Corporate
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Level 2
Security Classification: ENTRY ONLY
The Innovation and Technology Group (ITG) is responsible for delivering the IT Strategy 2022. The IT Strategy sets direction on how our technology capability will support the achievement of IP Australia’s business objectives and outlines the overall vision for IT within IP Australia. It is the single strategy outlining our technology direction. The strategy guides the continued digital transformation of IP Australia across all levels of the organisations internal and external interactions. It supports a more Whole-of-Government ‘citizen-centric’ approach to our services to position them to meet shifting customer expectations.
This is done by embracing transformational and innovative technologies embodying a customer centric and agile culture to deliver smart solutions and new approaches that significantly improve both our internal and external stakeholder experiences. In working in this way, the Innovation and Technology Group is set to position IP Australia as both a Domestic and International ICT leader across the Government and beyond.
The Innovation Section Leads innovation and undertakes business transformation initiatives using emerging technologies to deliver strategic improvements across the intellectual property ecosystem. The section is driving internal business transformation and innovation through the implementation of cognitive computing, automation and process re-engineering supported by a data driven culture. Externally, the section is developing innovative products and services through collaboration with wider IP ecosystem including global IP offices.
Job Description / Context of the Role
We’re looking for an individual:
- Who is motivated, curious and willing to learn new skills;
- Who is interested driving innovation, delivery in a fast-paced agile environment and making a difference through their work; and
- With background in machine learning, data science or statistical analysis.
What you’ll do:
- Support the development of machine learning solutions to support IP Australia’s strategic objectives, including the evaluation of commercial software or state of the market, or data analytics to identify opportunities for innovation;
- Provide input into governance, analysis of risks and issues on the use of machine learning and data (in the context of AI and automation);
- Provide data engineering expertise in working with big data to support machine learning development, facilitate research and product development;
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to collaborate on machine learning or other data related initiatives;
- Conduct testing and reviews for software development, data processing and analysis; and
- Build machine learning and data science capabilities within ITG by collaborating or training other data scientists or staff within the group.
Job Specific Duties
This challenging and rewarding role will see you:
- Support the development of technical solutions, undertake research and development activities to meet the priorities of the Innovation Section. This may include the following activities:
- Data mining;
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis; or
- Undertaking analysis to identify opportunities for innovation and presenting results in a clear manner to stakeholders.
- Provide technical solutions to support IP Australia policy and strategy in response to whole-of-government or agency wide objectives;
- Support the delivery of technical components or technical solutions for projects as required;
- Prepare technical reports and recommendations based on well supported analysis;
- Demonstrate a professional attitude and behaviours responsive to workplace change (including participating in change, encouraging others and contributing to successful outcomes);
- Improve organisational performance through effective engagement with and management of risk within relevant sphere of influence;
- Establish clear expectations and create an environment to achieve stated goals and objectives, take ownership and honours commitments; and
- Maintain an understanding of your/worker responsibilities under the Work Health & Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) and a commitment to promoting a healthy and safe workplace.
Job Specific Capabilities
The following skills are essential:
- Applied statistics skills such as distributions, statistical testing and regression;
- Experience in undertaking statistical analysis to identify trends and insights;
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, R or Java;
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and technologies;
- Ability to explain or translate complex models and findings to business stakeholders; and
- Ability to hold an Entry-Only clearance.
Additionally, it would be desirable to have a combination of:
- A qualification or experience in data science specialising in machine learning, data science or statistical analysis;
- Experience in developing machine learning and data science solutions;
- Experience in ‘data wrangling’ with complex datasets (using databases such as SQL, MongoDB, Spark or Elasticsearch);
- Experience in using open source tools for machine learning purposes (development of ensemble models and deep learning models, and applying natural language processing techniques);
To apply for this position, candidates are asked to submit a two-page pitch (no more than 1000 words) outlining your most recent achievements (within the last three years) addressing the key skills/capabilities above.
Your two-page pitch is a chance to tell us why you are the right person for the job. We want to know why you want to work at IP Australia, why you are interested in the role, what you can offer us, and how your skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications are applicable. Please try not to duplicate information that can already be found in your resume, but do highlight any specific examples or achievements that will demonstrate your ability to perform the role. Provide a current CV detailing recent employment history which is relevant to the advertised position. Provide the name and contact details of two (2) referees. Your referees may be contacted at any stage of the assessment process over the phone or via email. For this reason, it is important that you advise them you have applied for a role at IP Australia, and that you feel confident they will be able to support your claims at interview, in your resume and in your two page pitch.
Applications must be submitted through the IP Australia Web Recruitment system (ESS)
Please note: you MUST be an Australian Citizen to be engaged in the APS and to meet IP Australia’s security clearance requirements.
For further information pertaining to this job please contact Bradley Man on 6283 2034.
Working in IP Australia
Australia’s Intellectual property (IP) rights system supports innovation, investment and international competitiveness. IP Australia administers Australia’s IP rights system, specifically patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder’s rights. IP Australia also undertakes programs to educate and promote an awareness of intellectual property (IP), provides IP policy input to Government, develops legislation to support the IP system and contributes to bilateral and multilateral negotiations to improve IP protection internationally.
IP Australia strives to deliver robust IP rights efficiently, satisfy our customers in terms of timeliness and value for money and be recognised as one of the leading IP offices in the world for the quality (including accuracy and consistency) of the IP rights we grant. IP Australia is committed to external certification of our Quality Management System which involves applying ISO 9001:2008 to key business processes and to environmental management through ISO14001 certification within the agency.
All IP Australia staff contribute to the achievement of organisational outcomes and the overall management of IP Australia by assisting, as appropriate, the Commissioner of Patents and the Registrars of Trade Marks and Designs and Plant Breeder’s Rights, and their deputies (where relevant), to perform statutory functions, and where appropriate, exercise relevant delegations.
IP Australia recognises the importance of employees balancing their work and personal lives by offering staff access to an ongoing series of health and wellbeing programs, flexible work-life policies and a range of professional development programs. IP Australia is a breastfeeding friendly workplace.
The IP Australia office in Canberra provides high quality accommodation and facilities. These include: an on-site café, conference, meeting and training rooms; limited on-site parking for cars and motor cycles available on a rotational basis; the provision of undercover bicycle racks; excellent shower/change facilities for staff choosing to walk or ride to work; and the advantage of all staff being co-located in the one building.
Please note: All IP Australia positions are subject to an ENTRY ONLY pre-employment check unless a higher security clearance has been identified. Other pre-employment checks may also apply.