Position Title: Senior Network Engineer
Classification: Executive Level 1
Position Number: Various
Section: Infrastructure Services - Network Services
Group: Business and Information Management Solutions
Division: Policy and Corporate
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Level 2
Security Classification: BASELINE
*Update* IPA is now looking to fill two positions from this recruitment and will be assessing prospective candidates with this in mind to achieve an appropriate balance of technical skills and team management skills between the two positions.
The Business and Information Management Solutions Group (BIMSG) is responsible for delivery of the ICT strategy to enable digital transformation of IP Australia by meeting data, digital and information technology needs.
The Technology Operations and Cloud Services Section is responsible for providing infrastructure services including storage, midrange platforms, network, voice and database administration services to the agency, as well as leading the agency cloud transformation.
BIMSG has a cloud transformation vision of “the delivery of all of IP Australia’s ICT services, as services from commercial cloud providers by 2020, utilising a combination of Software-as-a-Service, Platform-as-a-Service and Infrastructure-as-a-Service offerings.” As a senior leader within the Infrastructure Services Section, the Senior Network Engineer will have a crucial role in the fulfilment of this vision through the contribution of expertise and execution of work.
Job description / Context of the role
The Senior Network Engineer is a senior role in the Voice and Data Networks Team and this seniority comes with an expectation to manage the more complex design and implementation work of the team, and also to be heavily involved in complex problem solving and escalations. They will also be expected to mentor and help develop the team by sharing knowledge, improving processes and procedures, and helping develop strategic plans for the services they manage.
They will work closely with other technical teams both inside and outside the section, and liaise with project teams and project managers across the organisation. They will have particularly close relations to the Voice and Data Networks Team Leader, Infrastructure Architect and Director - Infrastructure Services in managing and defining strategic work initiatives within their area, and reporting on their progress.
The Senior Network Engineer can expect to be heavily involved in the cloud transformation program, both backfilling for the Team Leader but also contributing expertise to the network plumbing of our hybrid cloud environment and ensuring the long term management and sustainability of the deployments.
Job Specific duties
As a senior member of the Voice & Data Networks Team, the Senior Network Engineer will perform the duties necessary to deliver highly effective and robust Network environments supporting IP Australia’s business systems. Duties include:
- Designing, implementing and maintaining IP Australia’s managed network environments, which include:
- HP core and top-of-rack switches
- Cisco and HP work group switches and Cisco routers
- F5 and NetScaler load balancers
- Cisco ASA firewalls and Fortinet FortiGate firewalls and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS)
- HP iMC network monitoring and traffic analysis tool
- Cisco Unified Communications, Voice and Video Conferencing systems
- Cisco Wireless networks
- Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE) network access control solution
- Security monitoring systems and NTP systems
- Installing, maintaining, and upgrading network hardware and software and related tools
- Experience in managing a small team of APS staff, contractors including leave, training and performance management
- Management and monitoring of the network using monitoring tools to ensure optimal availability of services
- Maintaining processes, procedures and documentation necessary for effective maintenance of IP Australia’s Network environments in accordance with ISO 9001 Quality Management processes
- Providing technical support and advice, in particular to architects and application developers, on effective use of supported network technologies, and in the development of appropriate network designs
- Participate in the On-call roster to ensure the continued availability and operations of the aforementioned network systems
- Demonstrates attitudes and behaviours responsive to workplace change (including participates in and encourages others to participate in change and contribute to successful outcomes)
- Improves organisational performance through effective engagement with and management of risk within relevant sphere of influence
- Establishes clear expectations and creates an environment to achieve stated goals and objectives, takes ownership and honours commitments
- Maintains an understanding of their/worker responsibilities under the Work Health & Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) and a commitment to promoting a healthy and safe workplace.
Job Specific Capabilities
To succeed in this role you will need to be an experienced IT professional with significant experience in a small-medium sized team, preferably in a Commonwealth Government environment.
You will ideally have a generalist technology background but also have demonstrated specialisation in supporting network environments. Your experience will include as many of the following capabilities as possible:
- A high level of technical expertise in LAN, WAN and Internet networking
- Demonstrated experience in managing staff as per the APS contemporary and modern principles of management
- High level of experience in supporting HP core switches, HP and Cisco workgroup switches, ASA and/or Fortinet firewalls, and F5 and NetScaler load balancers
- Strong experience with VLAN, ICON, WAN, QoS, VoIP, SNMP, DNS, sub netting IPV4, IPV6, routing protocols and TCP/IP and Ethernet technologies
- Experience in the use and support of network monitoring tools such as IMC
- Experience with Cisco Unified Communications solutions
- Experience with Cisco Wireless networks and integration with Cisco ISE network access control systems.
- Experience with or detailed knowledge of Software Defined Networking.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of the Commonwealth Government security environment and the impact of the Information Security Manual
- A strong commitment to continuous improvement and demonstrate an awareness of new emerging technologies
- Demonstrated experience providing infrastructure solutions which require ingenuity and innovation
You will be passionate about using technology to solve business problems, and be resilient and able to work calmly under pressure to achieve desired results.
Eligibility qualifications / Knowledge required
This is a security assessed position. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a security assessment to obtain a Baseline Security Clearance.
Relevant current industry certifications such as CCNA, CCIE or CCNP are highly desirable.
To apply for this position, candidates are asked to frame their responses around the job-specific duties and capabilities of the role (as set out in this job documentation), and provide:
- An explanation of how their skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role, including at least two specific examples that demonstrate their suitability for this role (1200 words)
- Provide a current CV detailing recent employment history which is relevant to the advertised position
- Provide the name and contact details of two referees.
Applications must be submitted through the IP Australia Web Recruitment system (ESS).
Please note: you MUST be an Australian Citizen to be engaged in the APS and to meet IP Australia’s security clearance requirements.
For further information pertaining to this job please contact Damo Hart on 02 6283 2266.
Working in IP Australia
Australia’s Intellectual property (IP) rights system supports innovation, investment and international competitiveness. IP Australia administers Australia’s IP rights system, specifically patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder’s rights. IP Australia also undertakes programs to educate and promote an awareness of intellectual property (IP), provides IP policy input to Government, develops legislation to support the IP system and contributes to bilateral and multilateral negotiations to improve IP protection internationally.
IP Australia strives to deliver robust IP rights efficiently, satisfy our customers in terms of timeliness and value for money and be recognised as one of the leading IP offices in the world for the quality (including accuracy and consistency) of the IP rights we grant. IP Australia is committed to external certification of our Quality Management System which involves applying ISO 9001:2008 to key business processes and to environmental management through ISO14001 certification within the agency.
All IP Australia staff contribute to the achievement of organisational outcomes and the overall management of IP Australia by assisting, as appropriate, the Commissioner of Patents and the Registrars of Trade Marks and Designs and Plant Breeder’s Rights, and their deputies (where relevant), to perform statutory functions, and where appropriate, exercise relevant delegations.
IP Australia recognises the importance of employees balancing their work and personal lives by offering staff access to an ongoing series of health and wellbeing programs, flexible work-life policies and a range of professional development programs. IP Australia is a breastfeeding friendly workplace.
The IP Australia office in Canberra provides high quality accommodation and facilities. These include: an on-site café, conference, meeting and training rooms; limited on-site parking for cars and motor cycles available on a rotational basis; the provision of undercover bicycle racks; excellent shower/change facilities for staff choosing to walk or ride to work; and the advantage of all staff being co-located in the one building.
Please note: All IP Australia positions are subject to an ENTRY ONLY pre-employment check unless a higher security clearance has been identified. Other pre-employment checks may also apply.