Position Title: Subject Matter Expert (Product Owner)
Position Number: 7164
Section: RIO Integrated Case Management Section
Group: Deputy Director General
Division: IP Rights
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Level 2
Security Classification: ENTRY ONLY
The IP Rights Division (IPRD) is responsible for the administration of Patents, Trade Marks, Designs and Plant Breeder’s Rights.
The RIO Integrated Case Management Section is the primary representative of business user interests for ICT Development for the IP Rights Division. The section is responsible for ensuring that our quality, efficiency and usability needs are incorporated into new processes and systems.
The section is led by the Senior Product Owner. The role of Senior Product Owner reports directly to the Deputy Director General IPRD but is embedded within IP Australia’s Innovation and Technology Group (ITG). The Senior Product Owner and the section more broadly is accountable for fostering and driving innovation to support appropriate transformational outcomes.
The section maintains a strong partnership with the Innovation and Technology Group and works together with ITG to modernise and improve business systems and processes. The RIO Integrated Case Management team ensures that products are developed to align with IP Australia strategic objectives and that the products it develops deliver benefits that are embraced by business groups and our customers.
The section provides input on strategic business transformational opportunities and ensures that the necessary consultation takes place prior to implementation. It works closely with stakeholders to facilitate a conducive transfer of ideas with a focus on collaboration and engagement with both business and ICT areas.
Job Description / Context of the Role
An opportunity exists to join to the RIO Integrated Case Management Section as a Subject Matter Expert.
The section operates under an Agile ICT Development paradigm and therefore the position will also be required to function as a Product Owner for a subset of products that the section is responsible for maintaining. Specifically, this position will be responsible for the management of Trade Mark and Designs products and report to the Senior Product Owner of the section.
The position is responsible for providing detailed and accurate advice about Trade Mark and Design Areas ICT requirements. The position is suited to employees that have a thorough knowledge of how existing processes and systems presently work.
The position will work in a project team comprising of other subject matter experts, business analysts, developers, testers and project support staff to develop successful outcomes. The position represents the Trade Mark and Designs areas to identify improvements for the project team and to provide regular updates to the intended users of the products that have been developed.
Job Specific Duties
- Represent TMD areas interests in the development of Trade Mark and Designs products
- Be accountable for fostering and driving innovation to support appropriate transformational business outcomes for Trade Mark and Designs products
- Provide technical and accurate advice on business requirements for new products or integration points
- Groom a product backlog and a product roadmap
- Work closely with the Senior Product Owner and the delivery team to develop a definition of ‘done’ including relevant Acceptance Criteria
- Participate in the project team’s daily routines, and be available to answer questions from the project team members
- Work under limited supervision from the Senior Product Owner and assist the Senior Steering Committee
- Support Change Management activities related to the product development lifecycle
- Draft and review content for the communications team
- Demonstrate attitudes and behaviours responsive to workplace change (including participating in and encouraging others to participate in change and contribute to successful outcomes)
- Improve organisational performance through effective engagement with and management of risk within relevant sphere of influence
- Establish clear expectations and create an environment to achieve stated goals and objectives, take ownership and honour commitments
- Maintain an understanding of their/worker responsibilities under the Work Health & Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) and a commitment to promoting a healthy and safe workplace.
Job Specific Capabilities
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A good understanding of current practice and procedures in TMD areas
- The ability to apply critical thinking when reviewing existing processes
- The ability to communicate and make decisions that are based on professional judgement, evaluating risks and in the context of a complex and changing environment
- The ability to negotiate with influence to get successful outcomes
- The ability to manage stakeholders through change, resolving conflict and managing sensitivities
- A reasonable understanding of Agile development methodology and the key roles.
Experience with working with existing Trade Mark and Designs ICT products is preferred.
To apply for this position, candidates are asked to:
- Frame their response around the job specific duties of the role (as set out in this job documentation), and provide:
- An explanation of how your skills, knowledge and experience will be relevant to this role (500 words maximum)
- Details of two (2) professional achievements, within the last 5 years, that demonstrate their suitability for this role (250 words maximum per achievement)
- A current CV detailing recent employment history which is relevant to the advertised position
- Provide the name and contact details of two referees
Applications must be submitted through the IP Australia Web Recruitment system (ESS)
Please note: you MUST be an Australian Citizen to be engaged in the APS and to meet IP Australia’s security clearance requirements.
For further information pertaining to this job please contact Dan Jack on (02) 6222 3667.
Working in IP Australia
Australia’s Intellectual property (IP) rights system supports innovation, investment and international competitiveness. IP Australia administers Australia’s IP rights system, specifically patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder’s rights. IP Australia also undertakes programs to educate and promote an awareness of intellectual property (IP), provides IP policy input to Government, develops legislation to support the IP system and contributes to bilateral and multilateral negotiations to improve IP protection internationally.
IP Australia strives to deliver robust IP rights efficiently, satisfy our customers in terms of timeliness and value for money and be recognised as one of the leading IP offices in the world for the quality (including accuracy and consistency) of the IP rights we grant. IP Australia is committed to external certification of our Quality Management System which involves applying ISO 9001:2008 to key business processes and to environmental management through ISO14001 certification within the agency.
All IP Australia staff contribute to the achievement of organisational outcomes and the overall management of IP Australia by assisting, as appropriate, the Commissioner of Patents and the Registrars of Trade Marks and Designs and Plant Breeder’s Rights, and their deputies (where relevant), to perform statutory functions, and where appropriate, exercise relevant delegations.
IP Australia recognises the importance of employees balancing their work and personal lives by offering staff access to an ongoing series of health and wellbeing programs, flexible work-life policies and a range of professional development programs. IP Australia is a breastfeeding friendly workplace.
The IP Australia office in Canberra provides high quality accommodation and facilities. These include: an on-site café, conference, meeting and training rooms; limited on-site parking for cars and motor cycles available on a rotational basis; the provision of undercover bicycle racks; excellent shower/change facilities for staff choosing to walk or ride to work; and the advantage of all staff being co-located in the one building.
Please note: All IP Australia positions are subject to an ENTRY ONLY pre-employment check unless a higher security clearance has been identified. Other pre-employment checks may also apply.