There is so much to think about when starting a new business: from registering your business name, finding and keeping customers, organising your finances and everything in between. It is easy to feel overwhelmed when starting out. Fortunately there is an app available that ensures all your bases are covered.
First Business provides practical tips, checklists, case studies and links to additional information relating to developing and running a small business.
The app includes:
- a business health check that helps you work out if you are ready to take on the challenge of running a small business
- a starting your business checklist that assists with organising some of the requirements of running a small business including registrations, licences, tax and super responsibilities and legal requirements
- case studies that provide examples of things that can go wrong and how to avoid them
- a networking section that provides tips and ideas about how to develop your business network.
- a reading list function that allows you to save and request more information on topics of interest. The reading list can also be packaged up and sent to you as an email to refer to later.
The First Business app was developed by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) in collaboration with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to assist young people considering going into business.
To help small business understand the basics of intellectual property (IP) we have a number of resources available, including our small business magazine, IP your business edge, our IP basics for business videos, and IP workshops for start-ups.