At a glance
Policy ID: 10
The Productivity Commission in its 2016 report into Australia's IP arrangements, and the former Advisory Council on Intellectual Property in its 2015 review of the innovation patent system both recommended that the innovation patent be abolished. The government accepted this recommendation.
- Legislative drafting 04-Sept-2017
- Consultation 23-Oct-2017 to 4-Dec-2017
- Policy development 5-Dec-2017
- Consultation 28-Mar-2018
- Department of Industry consultation 25-May-2018 to 3-Aug-2018
- Consultation 23-Jul-2018 to 31-Aug-2018
- Legislative drafting 1-Sep-2018
- In Parliament 25-Jul-2019
- Royal Assent 26-Feb-2020
- Completed 26-Feb-2020
This item is included in the Intellectual Property Laws Amendment (Productivity Commission Response Part 2 and Other Measures) Act 2020 which received Royal Assent on 26 February 2020.
The process of phasing out of the innovation patent system will commence on 26 August 2021. Further commencement details are available on the Legislation page of IP Australia’s website.