Blundstone boots are renowned for their toughness and are arguably one of Australia’s most legendary and best known trade marks. As such, the company takes protecting its intellectual property (IP) rights very seriously.
According to their website, Blundstone owns two boot brands - Blundstone (sold globally) and John Bull (sold mainly in New Zealand).
‘At Blundstone, we understand that our most valuable assets are our brands. We are dedicated to strengthening the positioning of our brands through our marketing and sales activities and through how we relate to the community. Blundstone monitors our brand strength with extensive market research conducted every year across our domestic markets.
Market research reports indicated that Blundstone is Australia’s best known, most loved and most worn boot brand and John Bull is the number one work boot brand in New Zealand.’
The family behind Blundstone says they’ve been making rural work boots in Hobart since 1870. In 1932, they purchased Blundstone Pty Ltd. The company headquarters is still in Moonah, Tasmania. Blundstone has facilities in Melbourne and Auckland but its iconic leather footwear is now manufactured overseas in Vietnam, India and China.
‘We employ our own personnel at the overseas facilities to ensure the standard of manufacturing is endorsed to our stringent quality standards. Blundstone is a Quality Endorsed Company to ISO9001,’ says the website.
Blundstone's IP strategy is not just about heritage. Its heel shock-protection system - developed in association with the CSIRO and the National Centre for Orthotics and Prosthetics at La Trobe University - has been patented all over the world.
‘Decades of innovative design and production have led us to where we are today – overseeing a global supply chain bringing together the best ideas, components and designs to complement a wide range of products for a wide variety of uses.
‘Our products are developed by a team based in Hobart who use the best resources available from all over the world to develop footwear which keeps pushing the boundaries to improve overall user comfort.
‘Whilst Blundstone is known for its iconic elastic sided boots worldwide, our extensive range includes gumboots, lace-up safety footwear for men and women, heavy industrial footwear and school shoes. Our ongoing research and development activity sees constant improvement in comfort, protection, performance and aesthetics to match the great fit and value for money. The Blundstone and John Bull boots we produce today are just as tough as they’ve always been, but now they’re a lot more comfortable too,’ reports the Blundstone website.
Registering your IP
- Have you developed a brand? Protect it with a registered trade mark. You can learn about trade marks, search for existing trade marks and apply for a trade mark.
- Protect the way your product works with a patent. Learn about the benefits of patents, search for existing patents and get an idea of how much a patent may cost.
- Protect the way your product looks with a design. You can learn about designs, search for existing designs and apply.
- Understand your commercialisation options to monetise your IP.
- If you’re an entrepreneur or start-up our IP – your business edge magazine helps steer you through how protecting your IP can help grow your business.
- We understand the IP system can be complex so we’ve put together the basics for patents, trade marks, designs and plant breeder’s rights.