Decide if you have a designFind out if a design is right for you
What are the times and costs?Use our price calculator
1. Do you need a design right?Find out if a design is right for you
Design registration is intended to protect designs which have an industrial or commercial use.
A registered design gives you, the owner, exclusive rights to commercially use it, licence or sell it.
2. Do you have a design that you can register?See what a registered design can do
Is your design responsible for the overall appearance of a product? This includes the shape, configuration, pattern and ornamentation which, when applied to a product, give it a unique visual appearance.
3. Have you published or shared this publicly?For your design to be registered it needs to be determined as 'new' or 'distinctive'.
Has this design been published anywhere in the world or publicly used in Australia?
4. Have you searched for similar designs on our database and those of other IP offices around the world?See Australian design search
Have you conducted a search of existing registered designs on our site and on other IP offices around the world?
5. Have you searched for similar designs on the internet and online?
Have you tried search engines and looked on various social media?
Have you searched elsewhere?
Have you looked at existing artworks, in journals and magazines or other publications?
6. Have you prepared your drawings or images?Further information on drawings
Are your drawings accurately drawn and not sketches?
Are they on A4 paper with well defined line work?
Only show the design in question. Use broken or dashed lines when highlighting or defining design.
Have you included perspective or isometric views are desirable. Shading and cross hatching can be used to show visual feature of the design?
Are your images clear originals and show the product against a plain contrasting background?
Are they on A4 paper or mounted onto A4 paper?
7. Are you ready to file your application?Key points to consider when applying
After you have completed your application you can submit it online (file). You will receive filing notice from IP Australia.