Take a look at our vacancies for current job opportunities.
To apply for a job with us:
- you must be an Australian citizen, unless the application has other requirements
- you'll need to sign in or register as a new user in our IP Acquire system.
Join our employment registers
We're always keen to hear from talented individuals from a variety of backgrounds. Here's how to let us know you're interested in working with us.
If a job isn't currently available in your preferred area, you can register for an email alert if a suitable position becomes available.
Non-ongoing temporary employment register
Can't find the role you're looking for? If you want to be on our radar when the right opportunity comes along, register with us and we'll get in touch.
Would you like to become a trade mark or patent examiner? Register with us and we'll let you know when we're advertising next.
Hearing impaired applicants
If you are hearing impaired, you can use the National Relay Service on 133677 (TTY) or 1300 555 727 (Speak and Listen) to speak with a contact officer about the position.
How to apply
1. Prepare your application
Once you find a role you're interested in, you'll need to prepare an application that demonstrates why you're the best candidate. Here's some tips to help you stand out.
1. Make sure it's the right job for you
- Read the Candidate Information Pack and documentation carefully so you're clear about the role.
- Review the application form so you know what you need to include.
- Make sure you're eligible to apply for the job. For example, you must be an Australian citizen for all roles with us.
2. Tell us why you're the best candidate for the role
For most applications you'll be asked to include a statement addressing:
- how your skills, knowledge and experiences make you the right person for the job
- key examples demonstrating your suitability.
This is the most important part of your application. Your answers will be used to shortlist applicants for interview/further assessment.
How to make your answers shine
Here's some tips to help prepare your statement:
- Clearly demonstrate that you satisfy the skills/capabilities to the level required.
- Use examples of achievements which can be verified by a referee.
- Only include relevant information outlining your achievements.
- Be concise.
- Tailor your responses in line with our capability framework.
Want more tips? The Australian Public Service Commission provides advice on preparing your statement.
3. Update your resume
Ensure your resume has relevant information, is up to date and isn't longer than two pages.
4. Provide referees
You'll be asked to nominate two referees and their contact numbers in your application. Ideally one of the referees will be your current supervisor.
5. Prepare a draft
Before you submit your application it's a good idea to:
- draft and edit your application in a separate document
- check the word count and spelling.
6. Don't miss the deadline
It's your responsibility to ensure your application is completed by the closing date and time specified in the job advertisement.
2. Submit your application
When you're ready to submit your application:
- log in to IP Acquire
- copy and paste your draft into the system. You can save your progress as you go and come back anytime
- submit your application for consideration.
It's important to note that you:
- won't be able to submit your application if you have skipped any mandatory questions
- can withdraw and resubmit your application until the closing date
- can see the status of your application when you are signed in.
3. Next steps
Once the application period ends, your online application will be reviewed by the selection panel. We'll let you know if you've been shortlisted to the next stage, and if so, what the next steps are.
If you have any questions, you can reach out to the contact officer named in the advertisement.