Who is a QP?
A QP is an expert in a particular plant group. They're accredited by us to certify new PBR applications.
You'll need to nominate someone to act as your QP during submission of part 1 of your application.
Why do I need a QP?
A QP plays an important role in your application. They can provide advice and guidance throughout, and they will:
- Supervise the growing trial
- Verify the claims made
- Certify the application.
Overall, the role of the QP is to make sure that the growing trial is robust so that your variety can receive strong protection.
What does a QP do?
During the application process, your QP will:
- Engage with us to formalise the distinctness, uniformity and stability (DUS) growing trial arrangement through a pre-trial agreement form (PETA)
- Determine a trial plan appropriate to establish the DUS of the candidate variety
- Determine the most similar variety of common knowledge (comparator) (VCK) for inclusion in the DUS trial
- Submit the completed PETA to us for approval
- Oversee the growing trial to ensure adherence to the approved trial plan
- Collect data from the DUS trial to prepare the detailed variety description in support of the PBR application
- Collect, collate and submit evidence to us to show that the candidate variety is distinct, uniform and stable
- Liaise with us to organise an independent verification of the claimed DUS of the candidate variety by a PBR examiner
- Submit detailed description of the candidate variety, including details of the DUS, through the Interactive Variety Description System (IVDS) for publication in the Plant Variety Journal
- Provide certification of the part 2 of your PBR application.
How do I find a QP?
If you need help finding a QP, you can do a quick and easy search using our online directory.
To pick the best QP for you, consider their:
- Plant speciality
- Geographical region.
If you're an accredited QP, you can nominate yourself to oversee the application.
If you can't find a QP that operates in your geographical region, you can become a Qualified Person.
How do I nominate a QP?
Once you've picked your QP, include the nomination form below in your application part 1 submission.