$330/hr (inc. GST), $2310/day (inc. GST) and negotiable reduced rates for extended mediations.
As an accredited mediator under the NMAS since 2014, I undertake mediations as an adjunct to my full-time employment as the Professor of Intellectual Property at Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne. My mediation practice is focused exclusively on intellectual property and related subject matters (including franchising).
In 2015 I designed and implemented a Dispute Resolution Process for the Nursery and Garden Industry Victoria (NGIV), the main component of which is mediation. I am the NGIV-appointed mediator under the scheme. Since 2017 I have been a member of the Panel of Mediators, appointed by the Office of the Franchising Mediation Adviser, to mediate disputes under the Franchising Code of Conduct.
Mediation qualifications and accreditations:
- Accredited Mediator - Accredited by Resolution Institute as a mediator under the National Mediation Accreditation Standards of the Mediator Standards Board, Australia (2014).
- LEADR Mediation Workshop - completed 38-hour training program conducted by Resolution Institute (at that time LEADR-Association of Dispute Resolvers), Melbourne, Australia (2014).
- WIPO Workshop for Mediators in Intellectual Property Disputes - completed 15-hour training program conducted by the World Intellectual Property Organization's Arbitration and Mediation Center, Geneva (1998)
Specialist experience and qualifications
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge (1989-92).
- Master of Laws (LLM) with distinction - Queen Mary College, University of London (1987-88).
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) with honours - University of Melbourne (1980-83).
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) - University of Melbourne (1979-83).
- Registered Trade Marks Attorney, Australia - Registered as a Trade Marks Attorney with the Trans-Tasman IP Attorneys Board (2000).
- Solicitor, England and Wales - Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (1991).
- Barrister and Solicitor, Australia - Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria and of the High Court of Australia (1985); holder of a current Australian Practising Certificate.
Professional Experience in IP Law:
- Dr Andrew Christie, Melbourne - Principal (since 2008, part-time). Practising IP and IT law and ADR.
- Davies Collison Cave, Melbourne - Special Counsel (1996-2001, part-time). Consulting on patent and trademark law to the firm's the information sciences group.
- Arthur Robinson & Hedderwicks (now Allens Linklaters), Melbourne - Senior Associate (1992- 93); Solicitor (1985-86); Articled Clerk (194-85). Practising law in the firm's IP group, focusing on IT law and patent litigation.
- Rowe & Maw (now Mayer Brown), London - Consultant (1989-91, part-time); Solicitor (1988). Consulting to, and practising law in, the firm's IP group, focusing on copyright and licensing.
Professional Memberships in IP Law and ADR:
- Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia - Ordinary Member (since 2014).
- Resolution Institute - Practitioner Member (since 2010).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Associate Member (since 2010).
Other ADR Experience:
- Domain Name Adjudication - Member of the Panel of Neutrals of the World Intellectual Property Organization's Arbitration and Mediation Center, Geneva (since 1999), and Panelist with Resolution Institute (since 2010) and the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre (since 2011). Appointed to adjudicate more than 180 domain name disputes, both as a sole panelist and as part of three-member panels (including as presiding panelist), under the UDRP and other dispute resolution policies.
- Expert Determination - Member of the Panel of Experts and Neutrals of the International Chamber of Commerce's International Centre for ADR (since 2013). Appointed to three-member panels to determine disputes under the new gTLD Limited Public Interest Objection policy.
- Arbitration - Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration's SCIA High-Technology and Intellectual Property Arbitration Centre, Shenzhen (since 2015).
- "Online Dispute Resolution - the Phenomenon of the UDRP" - Chapter 16 in Paul Torremans (ed), Research Handbook on Cross-Border Enforcement of Intellectual Property (Edward Elgar, 2014) .
- "Voluntary Mechanisms for Resolving IP Disputes" – WIPO/ACE/8/10 (World Intellectual Property Organization, 2012) .
- "The Evolution of Precedent in Mandatory Arbitration - Lessons from a Decade of Domain Name Dispute Resolution" - The Arbitrator and Mediator, Vol. 30, No. 1 (2011).
In 2005 I was identified by the international magazine Managing IP as one of the world's 50 most influential people in intellectual property.