These Rules have been prepared by the Whitsunday Charter Boat Industry Association Inc through consultation with tour operators and managers of Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) and Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) and other parties with vested interests in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park World Heritage Area.
All parties that participated in the preparation of the Certification Rules are dedicated to ensuring the sustainability of both the environment and economic viability of the Marine Tourism Industry
These Certification Rules apply to members of the Whitsunday Charter Boat Industry Association Inc.
The Rules are to ensure that minimum standards are agreed within the industry. They are not intended to provide a means of grading the quality of service offered by individual operators.
OBJECTIVES of the Certification Rules:
- To list and record the ethics and minimum acceptable standards for marine tourism operators
- To promote self-regulation of the marine tourism industry
- To contribute towards the enhancement and preservation of the environment, social, cultural and economic values of the Great Barrier Reef.
- To safeguard the industry’s competitiveness within the world tourism market by protecting its natural resource base and catering for the increasing numbers of tourists seeking environmentally responsible tourism experiences.
- To establish guidelines for the duty of care
Signatories to the Certification Rules will endeavour to operate in accordance with the following ethics:
- To operate in a manner that enhances and preserves the natural, social, cultural and economic values of the Great Barrier Reef
- To act honestly, fairly and with professional courtesy at all times
- To maintain the highest level of safety and maritime practice
- To provide accurate information on the cultural and natural resources of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park
- To strive for excellence in quality of service to customers
- To work cooperatively with management agencies to ensure the preservation of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park
- To protect and present World Heritage values
- To foster an environment ethic amongst all involved in marine tourism
- To market and promote a product with integrity and honesty