Am I eligible for the service?
The service is available to prospective or existing patent applicants from small to medium enterprises (SME). You can request a case manager even if you've already submitted a patent application.
How does it work?
We understand that applying for and securing a patent can be time consuming and expensive, especially for new or emerging businesses. Our service is designed to help you apply for a patent if you decide not to use legal representation.
- We'll connect you with a dedicated patent expert who'll act as your case manager and be your single point of contact
- The case manager can talk to you about your patent application, along with other types of IP protection that you could consider
- You can continue to use your case manager once you've filed your application and even while it's being examined.
How much does it cost?
This service is free.
How can they help me?
Your case manager can:
- Explain the patent system, the application process, common terms, timelines and fees
- Provide information on how you can search for inventions using the IP search databases, Google Patents and social media
- Give you general information about what to include in your application
- Show you how to submit your application
- Explain how to read examination reports
- Answer general questions about patent applications while your application is being examined
- Talk to you about other types of IP that could be useful, such as trade marks, design rights and plant breeder’s rights.
- Provide instructions or help you draft your patent specification, or prepare your application
- Offer feedback or opinions about your application
- Give business or commercialisation advice
- Provide advice on your IP strategy.
How do I request a case manager?
Our customer contact centre can help you with general enquires about the patent application process, however, a case manager can provide more tailored advice. You can request a case manager by calling our customer contact centre on 1300 65 10 10 between 9am and 5pm (AEST). We're here Monday to Friday.
If you've already applied for a patent, remember to have your application number ready.