Trademark Assistance Center (TAC)

The USPTO’s Trademark Assistance Center (TAC) is the main support centre for all their customers, from first-time filers to legal professionals and experienced trade mark applicants. They can answer your questions on a variety of trade mark topics.

Contact the TAC for:

  • General information about registering a trade mark
  • Trade mark literature and publications
  • Updates on the status of trade mark applications and registrations
  • Answers to case-specific questions about an application or registration
  • Help navigating electronic forms and systems
  • Help finding information on their website about the meaning of trade mark terms and concepts, how to start the application process, application and registration timelines, and more.

The TAC cannot give legal advice. This includes:

  • Advising applicants on proper responses to USPTO Office actions
  • Conducting pre-filing searches for potentially conflicting trade marks
  • Analysing or pre-approving documents before filing
  • Advising applicants on substantive examination issues, such as the acceptability of specimens and classification of goods and services.

You can contact the TAC by calling 1-571-272-9250 Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 8 pm ET or emailing

Visit the TAC website.

The USPTO also maintains a series of short, user-friendly, videos on a range of trade mark topics, including selecting, searching, pursuing registration, and maintaining a registration.  Visit the Trademark Information Network (“TMIN”) on the website.

Finding an attorney

If you have an existing IP attorney in Australia, it may be worth asking if they have associate offices in the US. Going through an Australian attorney will usually come at a higher cost than going directly to a US IP attorney. Your Australian trade mark attorney ideally understands both your business and your global intellectual property strategy, but it’s up to you to decide what is best for your business and brand.

To find an IP attorney in Australia, visit The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia. He or she generally will have a working relationship with a US trade mark attorney.

To find an IP attorney in the US, the USPTO recommends searching with, which is provided as a public service by the American Bar Association's Division for Legal Services.