If you require intellectual property (IP) advice or legal representation there are several professionals that can assist you.
There are also a number of websites that can provide you with information and advice about protecting your IP and maximising its potential in your business.
IP professionals and search firms
Patent and trade mark attorneys
- The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA) - IPTA is the representative body for Australian patent and trade mark attorneys and provide a 'Find an Attorney' service on their website.
- Trans-Tasman IP Attorneys Board -The TTP Board is a statutory body is responsible for administering the regulatory and disciplinary regimes for patent and trade marks attorneys in Australia and New Zealand.
- Law Council of Australia - The Law Council website links to the various law societies and bar associations in each Australian state.
Search firms are companies that can perform 'prior art' and trade mark searches for you. To find one in your state, search the Yellow Pages.
Other IP websites
- Attorney-General's Website - This is the entry point for all Australian Government legal resources.
- Australian Copyright Council - The Council provides clear information about copyright matters and also has a free legal advice service for those in the arts sector.
- Inventors Association of Australia - A not-for-profit organisation for all types of inventors including creative thinkers, hobbyists, career professionals and entrepreneurs.
Business information and assistance
- AusIndustry - an Australian Government initiative which provides a direct line to government for business development and support including grants and training programs.
- business.gov.au - an Australian Government initiative to make accessing government information, forms and services convenient for those planning, starting or growing their business.
- Entrepreneurs' Programme - access to a national network of more than 100 experienced private sector Advisers and Facilitators helping businesses improve their productivity and competitiveness.
- Austrade - helps Australian companies to grow their business in international markets, including through administration of the Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) scheme and the TradeStart programme, and promotes the Australian education and training sector in international markets.