If you do not find the information you are looking for here, please read the full
You should read this policy if you are:
- an applicant of an intellectual property (IP) right
- an owner of an IP right
- an attorney or agent for an applicant or owner
- an individual whose personal information may be given to, or held, by IP Australia
- a contractor, consultant, supplier or vendor of goods or services to IP Australia
- a person seeking employment with IP Australia or
- an IP Australia employee.
The Privacy Act
We comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) when we handle personal information.
The Privacy Act contains 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) which provide the rules for how agencies must handle your personal information, including how you can request access to, and correction of, that information.
Detailed information on the Privacy Act and APPs can be found on the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC).
Personal information handling
We collect personal information for purposes directly related to our functions or activities under related IP rights’ legislation.
For a detailed list of personal information we hold please read the information digest.
We do not give your personal information to other government agencies or private-sector organisations unless one of the following applies:
- you have consented
- you would reasonably expect, or have been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those bodies or agencies
- the disclosure is required or authorised by law (such as IP Australia’s rights’ legislation) or
- a general permitted situation under the Privacy Act exists, such as: it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life, health or safety, or to take appropriate action in relation to suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct.
Overseas recipients of personal information
We also disclose personal information to overseas recipients with consent or where authorised or required by, or under law, or in accordance with an international treaty or convention.
Disposal of personal information
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner, in accordance with the requirements of the Archives Act 1983 and IP Australia’s Record Disposal Authority.
Access and correction
You can request access to and correction of the personal information that we hold about you by contacting us.
Website usage and information policy
Our website contains links to other websites. IP Australia is not responsible for the content and the privacy practices of other websites.
Our website usage and information policy has more information about clickstream data, clicktails, cookies, tools used, email addresses and linking to external websites.