Our environmental policy
Our policy is designed to maximise our environmental stewardship, including:
- Being environmentally responsible
- Complying with relevant environmental legislation, regulations and other requirements
- Incorporating environmental best practice into our core management processes
- Using resources efficiently, including reusing and recycling whenever possible and reducing energy consumption
- Encouraging environmental awareness among staff
- Using an environmental management system (EMS) to deliver structure to our environmental practices.
Our environmental policy statement outlines our commitment to caring for the environment.
How we're addressing sustainability
We're focused on being environmentally responsible and using resources sustainably. Our environmental management system (EMS) has achieved ISO 14001. We're one of the first intellectual property (IP) offices globally to achieve the certification.
Our internal initiatives help us maintain an environmentally friendly workplace.
We use environmentally sustainable practices in all phases of our procurement process, including:
- Approaching the market
- Evaluating offers
- Contract management.
Reducing environmental impact
We've made it easy for everyone on-site to help reduce impact on the environment. We encourage all staff and visitors to:
- Save energy, for example by turning off unused equipment and lights and using Energy Star certified equipment
- Save water, for example by reporting leaking taps or toilet cisterns to facilities client services
- Save paper, by reducing the amount of printing, printing on both sides and recycling paper
- Reduce work-related travel, by holding external meetings virtually rather than face-to-face.
Our recycling program helps us minimise pollution, environmental damage and costs. It includes:
- Rubbish and waste recycling
- Battery recycling
- Eye glass recycling through Lions' Recycle for Sight program.